Only one more sleep until I’m heading on a super early (way too early) flight to New York City! I can’t explain my excitement. New York is a city that I cannot wait to visit, each time. I literally crave the city and once I’m there, all feels right. I’ll be spending one full week there with Alex and need to do my best to not over-pack. Luckily, my new luggage is a little smaller than my usual case so I won’t pack as much. Today I’m sharing my tips and tricks on how to not over-pack!
I need to pack for:
- Freezing temperatures
- Warmer temperatures
- Walking the city all day
- Casual days and meals
- Dressy restaurants and bars
- Outfit photos for the blog
When I was 9 years younger and my waist was 2 sizes smaller, I created the ultimate packing list. I still use the list to this day and customize it based on my trip. It has everything you’ll need for any trip and all you have to do is eliminate what doesn’t apply. You can download the packing list for yourself HERE.
In order to not over-pack, I take 3 easy steps.
- Over-pack – I pull out every item that I want to take with me and lay them on the bed.
- Edit – I eliminate half of the items in the piles.
- Edit again – I eliminate the new pile, in half.
A few great tips on how to create the most of your limited wardrobe while travelling in the colder months:
- Layer – Can you wear a collared shirt and sweater combo as separates? That can provide you with 3 easy outfits.
- Only take 1 blue denim. You really don’t need them all.
- One casual shoe, one walking shoe and one heel. We always over-pack our shoe and wear the same pair day after day.
- One heavy coat and one light coat. I would wear the heavy coat on the plane to make more space in your luggage.
Today’s outfit is the perfect example of a great travelling outfit. The leather joggers can be dressed up or down and the robe coat fabric is light enough to pack but warm enough to layer. Learn more about where this outfit was taken in my previous post of 10 Instagramable Photo Spots in Victoria.
SOSKEN Bella Double Knit Cardigan Duster | Gap sweater | Oak + Fort faux leather joggers | Le Chateau boots
Photos taken by Elise / edited by me.