There are no ifs, ands or buts about it – summer has come and it’s time to get our butts into gear, set those fitness goals and think about how to start a summer fitness routine. The warmer weather always inspires me to get active but sometimes it’s a task that gets pushed to the waist-side because of my busy schedule. It’s around this time every year that I want to amp up my summer fitness routine because If you’re like me, when the weather gets better, it gets harder to keep up a dedicated schedule.
Below are my tips & tricks on how to get your summer fitness routine up and running.
- Set your goals – Instead of jumping into a bunch of different fitness routines and applying to all the fitness studios, it’s a great idea to determine what your fitness goals are. If you’re looking to stay active or tone up, you’ll be able to decide how many days a week you’ll dedicate to your fitness goal and this can make getting back into your routine less daunting. I’m looking to tone up so I book my classes Monday to Friday, the week in advance so I’m able to plan my week around my workouts. This really helps me create time.
- Find the right studio – If you want to get yourself in a steady workout routine, I highly recommend finding 1 to 2 studios that have the classes you’ll get the most out of without a ton of stress. Vancouver is filled with a variety of fitness studios offering everything from yoga to HIIT, TRX, barre, boxing, rowing, Pilates and more. It can become overwhelming with all the options available to you, so I choose to find 1 studio that offers my top 3 favourite classes. I can rotate my 3 classes all week long and my instructors can get to know my progress and really push me.
- Find an accountability partner – We can get carried away during the summer with beach dates and outdoor adventures that we can miss a class or 2… or 5. I get it! I like to have a friend who goes to my studio to act as an accountability partner to ensure I’m keeping up my fitness routine.
- Choose the right outfit – Indoor classes can get warm during the summer months and when I’m moving and jumping around, I like my temperature to stay comfortable. By this time, my workout wardrobe is still my winter pieces, so I’ll need to switch to shorts and tanks to keep my body cool. It really helps during a long workout! Running Room focuses on pieces specific to flexibility and breathability, so I know they’ll have the items I need! Because I’m usually on the go, I’ll use my Masterpass account as my trusted digital wallet for quick and convenient shopping. If you follow me on social, you know I’m always using Masterpass. It’s super quick and easy, and saves me time so I can spend more of it perfecting my summer fitness routine. An added bonus? This July and August get 20% off at runningroom.com/ca when you pay with Masterpass – Terms & Condition.
- Get the right shoes – Summer tends to come with outdoor runs or afternoon hikes and you’ll want to make sure that your shoes haven’t worn down over the year. When your shoes are in bad shape, your workout can be too. In my opinion, it’s a good idea to have an indoor and outdoor pair of shoes!
- Find an alternative – If you can’t make your routine happen one day, then take it outside! Go for a run, a long walk, bike ride to your destination. The plan is to just keep moving and you’ll never regret it.
If you’re interested in using Masterpass for your online shopping needs this summer but don’t have an account, here’s how you can get started!
- Visit mastercard.ca/masterpass and sign up with your email address or mobile number.
- Set up your account with shipping information and method of payment. You can store all eligible credit, debit and prepaid cards in one place!
- Visit your favourite Masterpass merchants, such as runningroom.com/ca to order.
- Simply Masterpass it to pay.
I hope this post helps you engage in a new summer fitness routine!
This post is sponsored by Mastercard Canada, but all opinions are my own.
Nike top | Running Room shorts | Nike trainers
Photos by Reece Voyer